Learn how TIAA-CREF is committed to keeping your personal information secure.
Information We May Collect
The nonpublic personal information we collect may include, but is not limited to, your name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, social security number, date of birth and your transaction and experience history with TIAA-CREF companies. We may use this information in connection with certain aspects of our business. For example, we may use this information to complete your requested transaction or to otherwise manage your relationship with the TIAA-CREF companies.
We may obtain this information from an application or other form you have completed, or from information you have given TIAA-CREF in a consultation. In addition, we may also collect information about your creditworthiness from consumer reporting agencies, and may include your marital status, employment history, income, assets, credit score, credit history, open lines of credit, and the size of your household.
We may also collect your health information if you are applying for or own a life insurance policy or to administer your claims. We will not disclose your health information to any other TIAA-CREF company or other person unless authorized by you or required by law or regulation.
When you visit our site, we may collect information about your use of our site through "cookies". Cookies are small bits of information transferred to your computer's hard drive that allow us to know how often a user visits our site and the activities they are most interested in performing. We require the acceptance of cookies to enable users to take full advantage of specific services offered. We may also require you to accept cookies placed by a third party supporting this activity on our behalf.
The cookies collect certain technical and navigational information such as computer browser type, internet protocol address, pages visited, and average time spent on our websites. In addition, we capture the paths taken as you move from page to page (i.e., your "click stream" activity). This information, together with certain information that you have previously provided to us, is used to provide customized content that is relevant to you and to enhance your experience while on our site.
Finally, we use "cookies" to establish and maintain a logged-in connection while you are in the secure section(s) of our website. For example, when you visit your account, perform transactions, update contact information or perform other activity the "cookie" allows you to navigate from page to page in a secure fashion without having to repeatedly log-in.
Browsing to other sites:
How Your Information Is Used
We use your personal information primarily to provide you with the products and services you request, and we use your personal information relating to transactions and experiences with the TIAA-CREF companies to conduct their business. As permitted by law, we may also share your personal information with select partners with whom we have joint marketing agreements in order to provide you with a variety of products and services. We require these companies to meet privacy standards described below. Unless you have told us otherwise pursuant to “Your Right To Opt-Out” below, we may also use your personal information to market or determine your possible interest in products and services that the other TIAA-CREF companies offer. If you are a participant in an employer-sponsored retirement or savings plan investing in a TIAA-CREF or third-party annuity contract or a TIAA-CREF or third-party mutual fund, we may share the information we collect with your employer and its agents, if any for plan administration purposes.
Disclosure of Your Information
- Unaffiliated service providers (e.g., fulfillment companies and securities clearinghouses, data processing services, printers and mailing facilities) engaged by us;
- Unaffiliated service providers (e.g., third-party administrators) engaged by your employer;
- Unaffiliated fund and/or insurance companies and their agents whose investment options are made available to you through your employer-sponsored retirement or savings plan, provided monies are allocated to them on your behalf;
- Government agencies, other regulatory bodies and law enforcement officials (e.g., for tax purposes or for reporting suspicious transactions);
- Other organizations, with your consent or as directed by you (e.g., if you use TIAA-CREF as a financial reference in applying for credit with another institution); and
- Other organizations, as permitted or required by law (e.g., for fraud prevention).
We require that third parties with which we share your personal information protect such information by utilizing the privacy and security safeguards required by law.
Security of Your Information
TIAA-CREF protects the personal information you provide against unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, destruction, loss, or misuse. Your personal information is protected by physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards in accordance with federal and state standards. These safeguards include appropriate procedures for access and use of electronic data, provisions for the secure transmission of sensitive personal information on our website, and telephone system authentication procedures. Additionally, we limit access to your personal information to those TIAA-CREF employees and agents who need your personal information in order to provide products or services to you.
Your Right to Opt Out
Providing us with access to your information permits us to offer you distinct advantages and better service. It enables us to provide you with more comprehensive financial guidance. In fact, we have established different TIAA-CREF companies to offer you various types of financial products and services. Using your information helps us tailor product offerings to you and eliminate those that may not interest you. This helps us keep expenses low.
Federal law gives you the right to limit some but not all sharing of your nonpublic personal information. Unless you tell us otherwise, (i) any TIAA-CREF company may share information about your creditworthiness or (ii) may use your personal information from records maintained by one of the other TIAA-CREF companies for marketing purposes.
If you do not want other TIAA-CREF companies to share information about your creditworthiness or use your personal financial information for marketing purposes, you may simply let us know by opting out. If you opt out, we will not use your personal information to notify you of new products or services, nor will it be available to other TIAA-CREF companies for marketing purposes. It will, however, still be released as permitted or required by law. Please note that we cannot withdraw any previous disclosures made with your authorization.
To opt out, please call the ATS Service Center at 1 877 518-9161.
Customers of the TIAA-CREF Trust Company — If you are a client of TIAA-CREF Trust Company, FSB, and you own a joint account with a co-owner, you and the co-owner will both be treated as opting out if either of you should opt out.
You may receive more than one privacy notice from the TIAA-CREF companies depending on the products you own.
If you own a life insurance contract or a TIAA-CREF Funds account with a co-owner, you and the co-owner may:
- opt out separately; or
- either of you may opt out for both of you.
If you opt out separately, we will limit disclosure of information only for the owner who has opted out. If you indicate that you are opting out for the co-owner as well, we will limit disclosure for both of you.
Your opt-out becomes effective as soon as practicable. It remains in effect until you revoke it in writing. No further action is needed. Even if you have opted out, you will receive our privacy notice each year as required by law.
Children's Privacy Online
This website is not directed toward children. We do not knowingly collect or post information from children under the age of 18.
How to Change or Correct Your Personal Information
To change information such as your name, address, retirement start date, telephone number, e-mail address, or other personal information, please call our National Contact Center at 1 800 842-2776 Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m., and on Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., E.T.
You may also change your personal information by logging on to your TIAA-CREF account page and submitting your changes. Your new information will be effective immediately. If you want to change your address on fewer than all contracts, or to enter a foreign address, you will need to select "click here" located under the e-mail section of the page.
Note that certain changes cannot be processed over the phone. Address changes for payout contracts must be mailed. Also, to change your or your spouse's name on a contract, you must send us a letter with the following information:
- previous name with signature
- new name with signature
- Social Security Number
- Contract/account numbers
You may send letters to:
P.O. Box 1259
Charlotte, NC 28201
As described in this notice, "TIAA-CREF” or the “TIAA-CREF companies" are all of the affiliated insurance, securities and banking companies, including but not limited to the following:
- Teachers Insurance and Annuity Association of America (TIAA) and TIAA-CREF Life Insurance Company are insurance companies. They provide products such as life insurance and annuities.
- College Retirement Equities Fund (CREF) is an investment company that is the companion organization to TIAA. CREF provides retirement annuities.
- TIAA-CREF Funds is an investment company.
- Teachers Advisors, Inc., is an investment advisor. It provides services for our mutual funds and personal annuities.
- TIAA-CREF Investment Management, LLC, is the investment advisor to CREF.
- Teachers Personal Investors Services, Inc. (TPIS), is the principal underwriter for TIAA-CREF and Life Funds and has interest in tuition savings products.
- TIAA-CREF Individual & Institutional Services, LLC, is the principal underwriter for CREF and the TIAA Real Estate Account and is authorized by agreement to sell and service TIAA-CREF Funds, Life Funds, and interests in tuition savings products.
- TIAA-CREF Tuition Financing, Inc. (TFI), is an investment advisor. It provides investment management and administrative services for qualified tuition programs (529 Plans). TFI receives customer information from other TIAA-CREF companies, but does not disclose information about tuition program customers.
- TIAA-CREF Trust Company, FSB (Trust Company), is a federally chartered savings bank. It provides asset management and fiduciary services for individuals and institutions; acts as custodian for individual retirement accounts; and provides retail bank products such as checking and savings accounts, certificates of deposit and home loans.
- Kaspick & Company, LLC, is an investment advisor that provides advisory services to private clients, who are individuals, through separately managed accounts. Their clients are subject to their own privacy notice, policies, and procedures.