Open a Retirement Plan Account
There are several ways to enroll in a TIAA-CREF-funded retirement plan. The most common are through your institution's benefits office or online.
Before You Begin
- Use the Asset Allocation Evaluator to assess your risk tolerance and understand which portfolio allocation may be right for you.
- Consider TIAA-CREF Lifecycle Funds for a simplified "one decision" strategy for investing.
- Review the prospectuses for investments you want to sign up for.
- Identify the beneficiaries who will receive your vested benefits in the event of your death.
- Take a guided tour of online access to see how you can manage your accounts online.
Before you enroll online, contact your benefits office to:
- Confirm that your institution offers TIAA-CREF’s online enrollment, and learn what the Access Code is.
Note: If your institution does not offer online enrollment, your benefits office can provide you with an enrollment kit.
- Complete a salary reduction agreement, if necessary. By signing this agreement, you authorize your employer to reduce your paychecks by the designated amount and to place that money in your retirement account.
TIAA-CREF Individual & Institutional Services, LLC and Teachers Personal Investors Services, Inc., members FINRA, distribute securities products. Insurance and annuity products issued by TIAA (Teachers Insurance and Annuity Association), New York, NY and TIAA-CREF Life Insurance Co., New York, NY.