Cash Withdrawals From a Retirement Annuity, Group Retirement Annuity, Supplemental Retirement Annuity, Investment Solutions IRA, Public 457(B), Private 457(B)
Log in to take cash withdrawals from a Retirement or Group Retirement Annuity, Supplemental Retirement or Group Supplemental Retirement Annuity, an Investment Solutions IRA, and 457(b) plans.
Things to consider:
- Withdrawals from all plans except private 457(b) can be rolled over into another eligible retirement plan. Review the IRS Notice (PDF), or call us for a copy.
- You can roll over the withdrawal to an existing or new IRA. If you need to open a new TIAA-CREF IRA, you can do so when you request your withdrawal.
- Once you log in we will let you know if you need to complete an unmarried determination or spousal waiver.
- If you're married, your spouse must sign this request before a notary public or plan representative on the same or later date than when you sign it.
- If this is your first withdrawal from this plan, you may need your employer's written approval.
- You'll need to print the form, obtain the necessary signed authorizations and fax* the completed form to us.
- You can use a withdrawal to satisfy the required minimum distribution.
- For direct deposit, complete the authorization form. You'll need to print and fax* the signed form to us.
- Click I Disagree instead of submitting your request online.
*Before faxing, please be aware of these new changes. You can fax lump-sum cash withdrawals forms and systematic cash withdrawal forms and have the funds deposited into your bank account as long as TIAA-CREF has your bank information on file. In addition, fax limits apply to ERISA Plans (plans requiring spousal waiver or unmarried determination). If you have an ERISA Plan, your faxed withdrawal request must be $50,000 or less. If your ERISA withdrawal is more than $50,000 you must mail your forms to TIAA-CREF. Non-ERISA cash withdrawals have no fax limit (plans that do not require spousal waiver or unmarried determination). Our fax number is 800 914-8922.
Note: If you are requesting a check to be mailed and your address has been changed within 14 days of the withdrawal request, a Letter of Authorization, on the bank’s letterhead with the bank’s address, is required. The letter must include the following:
- The name on the account, which must include the participant as one of the account holders.
- The address for the account owner/participant.
- The account number and account type.
- Bank Signature Guarantee, including bank stamp and/or seal, from authorized bank personnel. If this is not included, the withdrawal request will not be processed. Withdrawal forms requesting a check to be mailed without a Bank Signature Guarantee must be received more than 14 days after the address change.
Our mailing address is:
Charlotte, NC 28201
Our overnight address is:
8500 Andrew Carnegie Blvd.
Charlotte, NC 28262
Please see Taking Money From Your TIAA-CREF Accounts for more information.
The tax information contained herein is not intended to be used, and cannot be used by any taxpayer, for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer. It was written to support the promotion of the products
and services addressed herein. Taxpayers should seek advice based on their own particular circumstances from an independent tax advisor.