Taking Lump-Sum Withdrawals
Log in to take a lump-sum cash withdrawal from a Retirement or Group Retirement Annuity, Supplemental Retirement or Group Supplemental Retirement Annuity, Investment Solutions IRA and 457(b) plans.
Things to consider:
- We have a team of retirement specialists who can help you explore all of your withdrawal options. Please call us at 888 556-2917 for assistance Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., and Saturday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. (ET).
- Withdrawals from all plans except private 457(b) can be rolled over into another eligible retirement plan. Review the IRS information (PDF) about available tax-favored options online.
- You can roll over the withdrawal to your existing TIAA-CREF IRA.
- If you need to open a new TIAA-CREF IRA, you can do so when you request your withdrawal.
- The maximum online withdrawal request is $50,000 per calendar year. The minimum withdrawal is $1,000 or 100 percent if the account balance is less than $1,000.
- To receive your payment by direct deposit EFT to another financial institution, click I Disagree instead of submitting your request online. You'll need to print and fax* us the payment destination form along with the prefilled withdrawal form.
- You can elect to use a withdrawal to satisfy the required minimum distribution.
- If additional signatures are needed, you will not be able to submit the request online. Instead, you will be provided with a prefilled withdrawal form to print and fax to us with the necessary signed authorizations.
- If you're married, your spouse must sign this request before a notary public or plan representative on the same or later date than when you sign it.
- Some plans require your employer's written approval.
- Some private 457(b) plans are subject to the employer's rules about cash withdrawals. If you are unsure about your plan, call us now.
*Before faxing, please be aware of these new changes. You can fax lump-sum cash withdrawals forms and systematic cash withdrawal forms and have the funds deposited into your bank account as long as TIAA-CREF has your bank information on file. In addition, fax limits apply to ERISA Plans (plans requiring spousal waiver or unmarried determination). If you have an ERISA Plan, your faxed withdrawal request must be $50,000 or less. If your ERISA withdrawal is more than $50,000 you must mail your forms to TIAA-CREF. Non-ERISA cash withdrawals have no fax limit (plans that do not require spousal waiver or unmarried determination). Our fax number is 800 914-8922.
If your bank information is not on file and you would like a check to be sent to your mailing address, you can fax the form. Note: If you are requesting a check to be mailed and your address has been changed within 14 days of the withdrawal request, a Letter of Authorization, on the bank’s letterhead with the bank’s address, is required. The letter must include the following:
- The name on the account, which must include the participant as one of the account holders.
- The address for the account owner/participant.
- The account number and account type.
- Bank Signature Guarantee, including bank stamp and/or seal, from authorized bank personnel. If this is not included, the withdrawal request will not be processed. Withdrawal forms requesting a check to be mailed without a Bank Signature Guarantee must be received more than 14 days after the address change.
Our mailing address is:
Charlotte, NC 28201
Our overnight address is:
8500 Andrew Carnegie Blvd.
Charlotte, NC 28262
Our fax number is 800 914-8922.
Please see Taking Money From Your TIAA-CREF Accounts for more information.
The tax information contained herein is not intended to be used, and cannot be used by any taxpayer, for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer. It was written to support the promotion of the products and services addressed herein. Taxpayers should seek advice based on their own particular circumstances from an independent tax advisor.