Maintaining Your Accounts
- Why can I not transfer out of the Real Estate Account (REA) online?
- What is Power of Attorney (POA) and Authorization?
- What documentation is needed when submitting a name change?
- How can I view my After-Tax Annuity balance?
- How can I view my Life Insurance information?
Why can I not transfer out of the Real Estate Account (REA) online? The REA restricts transfers to once per calendar quarter; at this time, transfers must be performed by a TIAA-CREF consultant. Please call us at 800 842-2776 to request a transfer.
What is Power of Attorney (POA) and Authorization? Authorization is used when you want to allow someone else to receive information about your account or transact business on your behalf. TIAA-CREF has three levels of inquiry; choose the one that is best for you:
- Inquiry Only – Allows the party you have authorized to receive specific information about your existing and future accounts via phone, online or download. They will have access to account balances, institutional plan rules on cash withdrawals and transfers, beneficiary designations and requesting forms.
- Limited Rights Plus Inquiry – Allows the party you have authorized to receive specific information about your existing and future accounts as mentioned above plus the ability to change allocations, make internal transfers or exchanges and cancel transfers or exchanges.
- Full Power of Attorney/Fiduciary Rights – Allows the party you have authorized (known as Attorney in Fact) to take all actions with regard to your TIAA-CREF accounts. You may use the TIAA-CREF Power of Attorney form or the legal equivalent.
What documentation is needed when submitting a name change?Supporting documentation for name changes can be one of the following: Marriage License, Divorcee decree, Adoption, Court Order. A certified copy of any court order or other document authorizing the change must be furnished via mail. It cannot be accepted by fax.
If you own a Retail Class Mutual Fund account, you will need to complete a new application to change the registration on your account. In addition to the revised application, also include a letter of instruction stating the change of name and a signature in both your former and new name with a signature guarantee by an official bank representative who can verify your signature to one that is on file.
How can I view my After-Tax Annuity information? Log into your online account and on the home page, click the View My After-Tax Annuity link. Now, click the See Accumulation link to view your balance. If your After-Tax Annuity is owned by a trust, you cannot view the account online. Please call us at 800 223-1200 if your account is owned by a trust.
How can I view my Life insurance Information? Log into your online account and on the home page, click the View My Life Insurance link. If your insurance is owned by a trust, you cannot view your policy online. Please call us at 800 223-1200 if your insurance is owned by a trust.