Tax Information


When will I receive my tax forms?


IRS Form

Date Mailed

Form 1099-R

By January 31

Form W-2

By January 31

Form 480.7C

By February 28

Form 1042-S

By March 15
Form NR-4

By March 31

Form 5498

By January 31
(for contributions from January 1 to December 31of the previous year)

By May 31
(for prior year contributions made from January 1 to April 15th)

back to top

How does TIAA-CREF report distributions? Federal law requires TIAA-CREF to report information about distributions from retirement plans, mutual funds, brokerage accounts and 529 plans to the IRS and to you on the applicable Federal Form. If you had a distribution or reportable event, you will receive a copy of the related Form that details your transaction(s). TIAA-CREF may also be required to report this information to the state of your permanent residence.

back to top

Who will receive Form 1099-R and/or W-2? Customers with distributions and rollover transactions receive Forms 1099-R and/or W-2, which is mailed by January 31st of the following year.

back to top

Can I view my tax forms online? If you have signed up for eDelivery of your account information, then yes. Most tax forms become available online by January 31 of each year. To ensure your forms are available online, we recommend you sign up for eDelivery before the calendar year ends.

To view or print your tax forms, log into your account, click the Manage My Portfolio tab and select eStatements & Reports.

If you have not yet signed up for eDelivery, you can do so at any time by logging into your Profile page. Then:

  1. Click the Edit My eDelivery Preferences button.
  2. Check the box next to Tax Reporting Forms (and any other communications you wish to receive through eDelivery).
  3. Click Save My eDelivery Preferences.

back to top

What if I do not have a user ID and password? If you don’t have a user ID and password for online access, click Register at the top of this page or on the homepage. You will need to provide your Contract number, Social Security Number and Date of Birth.

If you have forgotten your user ID, click the Forgot user ID link located directly below the login area.

back to top

How do I change my federal and/or state income tax withholding election?
General tax forms can be found online in the General Tax Section of the Forms Center. You can submit your federal and/or state withholding instructions online or you can print and mail in your completed form(s).

back to top

Who will receive Form 1042-S?
Form 1042-S reports payments made to foreign citizens residing in a foreign country (NRAs) or foreign citizens residing in the U.S. who have not certified their U.S. residency. It is mailed by March 15th of the following year.

back to top

Who will receive Form NR-4? Form NR-4 reports distributions paid to participants who converted Canadian currency contracts to U.S. currency contracts, and is mailed by March 31st of the following year.

back to top

Who will receive Form 480.7C? Form 480.7C reports distributions paid to residents of Puerto Rico and Puerto Rico Treasury, and is mailed by February 28th of the following year.back to top

Who will receive Form 5498? Federal law requires TIAA-CREF to report amounts of deductible and nondeductible contributions, conversions, recharacterizations and rollovers you make during a given tax year. There are two Form 5498 mailings; the first form mailing, due January 31st in the following year, covers all current year contributions from January 1 to December 31 of the previous year, and the second form mailing, due May 31st in the following year, covers all prior year contributions made from January 1 to April 15th, or tax filing deadline. In addition, Form 5498 also reports the Fair Market Value (FMV) of your IRA contract(s) as of December 31 of that tax year end.

back to top


The tax information contained herein is not intended to be used, and cannot be used by any taxpayer, for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer. It was written to support the discussion herein. Taxpayers should seek advice based on their own particular circumstances from an independent tax advisor.

© 2014 and prior years, Teachers Insurance and Annuity Association - College Retirement Equities Fund (TIAA-CREF), New York, NY 10017