Beneficiaries

Your beneficiaries can be individuals or entities, such as trusts or organizations.

During enrollment, you’ll have an opportunity to name a primary or contingent beneficiary(s) and the percent of the accumulation each is to receive. It’s a good idea to name both primary and contingent beneficiaries to ensure your wishes are covered.

If you do not select a beneficiary when you enroll,  "your estate" will be selected as your beneficiary. You can change your beneficiary at any time.

When you enroll in a retirement plan, it’s a good idea to specify one or more beneficiaries who will receive the financial benefit of your retirement savings upon your death.

“Your estate” is all of your financial assets combined together — houses, cars, investments, furniture or anything else with monetary value. This grouping of your assets happens after your passing. Since the money you’ve saved in your retirement plan is a financial asset, then it will become part of your estate. Once all of the assets in your estate have been distributed to your beneficiaries, heirs or claimants, your estate will no longer exist.

If you’d like to select beneficiaries for your retirement plan(s) today, you’ll need to have the following information at hand:

  • The names and dates of birth for anyone you’d like to add as a beneficiary
  • Tax ID # of any trust or organization you’d like to make a beneficiary

When you enter the percentage for how much of your investment you’d like that beneficiary to receive, you’ll need to make sure your percentages add up to 100%. For instance, if you have two beneficiaries, and you indicate that you want one of them to receive 60% of any assets you have in your retirement account, then you’ll need to assign the other beneficiary 40% so that the total is 100%.

eDelivery of Important Documents

eDelivery is short for “electronic delivery.” It means that you can elect to receive your required documents, such as account statements and prospectuses, online instead of in paper form.

By choosing paperless statements, bills and payments, the average household can save more than six pounds of paper each year.

You’ll be able to choose the option for eDelivery when you enroll online.

Besides being good for the environment, eDelivery provides:

  • Faster delivery of your statements and other documents
  • Secure access to historical statements for seven years
  • Reduced paper clutter in your home and office
  • Flexibility to change your delivery preference at any time.

Here’s how eDelivery works: An email notification will be sent to inform you that a document has been posted online. Then, you can log in to your TIAA-CREF account to view your document securely. Some documents that do not contain personal information will not require you to log in — you will be able to link directly to the electronic document.

Online Account Access

After your enrollment has been processed, you can log into TIAA-CREF’s Secure Online Access at any time to:

  • View and manage your account
  • Check your plan balances
  • Rebalance your portfolio
  • Get online help and more
C10279